Feedback wanted!

Developer
Jun 21, 2011 at 9:15 PM

Hey everyone!

KinectPaint was released 5 days ago and already more than 400 downloads, which is great. We are curious to see what work of arts were created "touchless" and most especially, what the user experience (UX) was.

Kinect offers, without a doubt, a new UX, something that was never available before (except in science fiction). It is a new way to communicate with the machine, and as for every innovation, the development of the UX must be iterative and based on user feedback.

So here is your chance, please let us know what you think of this application, and especially about the UX. Don't hesitate to be blunt, in a constructive manner. We thrive on user feedback and want to know what you think!

Thanks in advance,

For the KinectPaint team,

Laurent Bugnion (IdentityMine).

Jun 28, 2011 at 7:07 AM

Hi Laurent,

this is a great demo! I am most impressed by the WPF integration of the cursor and the other UI elements. Do you have plans to to extract these aspects and start a standalone Kinect/WPF NUI library?

That would be really useful!

Stephan

Aug 13, 2011 at 4:08 PM

Wow this application already looks very nice.

fun to try out.

I would sometimes want to change the "sensitivity of my movements. for bigger and smaller details

I'll try to play around a bit with the code

PS: Love MVVM Light toolkit :-)

Nov 8, 2011 at 2:33 PM

Howdys!

probably a lame question, but i (still) have no experience in XNA and/or Kinect development.

I'm looking for a painting application for my kids, to use on XBox+Kinect and this looks like almost what i am looking for. Do you know if this app works on xbox? (i guess it would with the required modified bits...)

any suggestion on how to port this app to XNA and run in Xbox?

Thanks in advance

Cheers!

Coordinator
Nov 8, 2011 at 2:34 PM

It is PC only and will not run on the Xbox. There would be no way to port this as there is no Kinect support on Xbox for XNA.

Nov 8, 2011 at 2:42 PM

Thanks for the quick reply!

i'will try your app with a windows box anyway

Cheers!

On 8 Nov 2011 07:34:47 -0800, "peekb" <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

It is PC only and will not run on the Xbox. There would be no way to port this as there is no Kinect support on Xbox for XNA.

-- 
Sérgio Coelho Charrua
www.voip.pt
sergio.charrua@voip.pt
T: (+351) 91 631 11 44
Mar 2, 2012 at 4:13 PM

Hello Laurent;

Great Demo, I am looking forward to working with it; however, I could not find the .sln file in the download.  I found two .exe file.  Am I missing something, I am a little new at kinects.  Any help would be appreciated. 

Thanks

Coordinator
Mar 2, 2012 at 5:01 PM

Sounds like you downloaded the binary.  Get the source from the Source Code tab above.

Mar 2, 2012 at 9:52 PM
Many thanks, I found it.

On Fri, Mar 2, 2012 at 1:01 PM, peekb <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

Sounds like you downloaded the binary. Get the source from the Source Code tab above.

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (paint@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email paint@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe on CodePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at CodePlex.com

Mar 4, 2012 at 7:02 PM

Hello Kinect Paint developers,

I wanted to thank you for posting this kinect app.  I am an art educator that is fascinated by the possibilities of using kinect in the classroom.  I've never coded before and am motivated to learn how to for kinect for windows.  

I am going to develop some lesson plans for this app and find ways to use it in the classroom.  Lessons that will direct learners to create with a goal in mind rather than just dabbling.  Credit will be given to your group when I present the lessons to others.

Thanks again,

birdsatflight

Mar 12, 2012 at 8:10 PM

I think you should use multiple users in your app. I have almost gotten a stable executable ready for compilation for release for my project and will make a template for multiple users on kinect for pc before i make the executable for anyone and you have permission to use it to help you code a multi-user paint app with kinect in the future if you wish.

Apr 14, 2012 at 7:45 AM
Edited Apr 14, 2012 at 7:59 AM

hi all!

sorry for my bad English and straight forwarding.

i have something about the coding to ask...

i would like to ask, is it possible to add sound for all the button?

seems like the button with a "click" sound when it is selected would be nice.

anyone have any idea to do it?

is it add the .wav file source in somewhere here?

new BrushSelection(
                new Uri("/KinectPaint;component/Resources/pen-unselected.png", UriKind.RelativeOrAbsolute), 
                new Uri("/KinectPaint;component/Resources/pen-selected.png", UriKind.RelativeOrAbsolute), 
                KinectPaintbrush.Marker, 
                "pen"),

or ===>>>>

SoundPlayer ClickSound = new SoundPlayer(@"c:\Media\ClickSound.wav");
    ClickSound.Play();

=====>>>>

need guidance here. thanks in advance!

Jan 28, 2014 at 9:26 AM
Edited Jan 28, 2014 at 9:29 AM
Hello :)

There are some errors when I run the source code in Visual Studio 2013. Can somebody help me?

Thank you in advance.
Coordinator
Jan 28, 2014 at 4:45 PM
Working here after resetting the reference to the Microsoft.Kinect SDK reference for the currently installed version (1.8). Can you be more specific on what's not working?
Jul 12, 2014 at 12:15 PM
hello. I am facing problems with the source code in this app. The application is running fine on my xbox kinect. But when I build the code (after resetting the reference to the Microsoft.Kinect SDK) it gives these errors:

1>MSBUILD : error : CA0001 : The following error was encountered while reading module 'KinectPaint': Assembly reference cannot be resolved: Microsoft.Kinect, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35.
1>MSBUILD : error : CA0058 : The referenced assembly 'Microsoft.Kinect, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35' could not be found. This assembly is required for analysis and was referenced by: E:\unity2\paint-76924\KinectPaint\bin\Debug\KinectPaint.exe.

As far as I can understand, it is having conflict problems between the two versions of the kinect SDK 1.0.0.0 (in which the app is made) and 1.8.0.0(which my computer is having). So I tried to app.config remapping of the assembly "Microsoft.Kinect" but its still not working, maybe I'm doing it wrong.

Can anybody help? Thanks :)